This Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the South Asia Foundation-India, a secular, non-profit and non-political organization located at A-33 Vasant Marg, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, herein after referred to as “SAF”, on the one part,
The Pondicherry University, a central University created by an Act of Parliament, located at Kalapet, Puducherry, herein after referred to as “University”, on the second part (hereinafter referred to as “parties”)
sets forth the agreement reached between the two parties relating to the collaboration in the regulation and funding under the “SAF Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship Scheme”. Under this Scheme, 8 (eight) students are to be awarded scholarship, one from each of the eight South Asian countries, namely, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, enrolled in the two year M.A. (South Asian Studies) Course offered through University’s Centre for South Asian Studies, School of Social Sciences and International Studies. The Scholarship Scheme would be effective from the academic year 2008-09.
1. The two year M A in South Asian Studies will be offered through the Centre for South Asian Studies, School of Social Sciences and International Studies, Pondicherry University. The Centre was established in the year 2007, primarily with the objective of developing area studies, identifying the areas of cooperation and the major areas of challenges for the integration of South Asian countries – political, economic, cultural, sociological, and strategic by promoting interdisciplinary approach to South Asian problems.
2. The cardinal objective of SAF is to sustain a movement, in particular involving youth, to promote regional cooperation and peace through education, cultural interaction and mutual understanding among people of South Asia.
3. South Asia represents more than one fifth of humanity and is beset with several problems and only through a clear understanding of the issues and different perspectives which is possible by study and research and a positive contribution by youth can help to improve the climate towards better understanding and greater cooperation among its constituents.
4. This collaborative effort between University and SAF will enable both the parties to realize their stated objectives, namely, imparting academic instruction in the areas of study which meet the felt needs of the South Asian Region and, in the process, help spreading the message of regional cooperation which is SAF’s cardinal objective.
SAF Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship Scheme
5. In accordance with the resolutions made at its Special Meeting of the Governing Council held in New Delhi in November 2006, SAF decided to fund Group Scholarships in view of the fact that they would be most effective in promoting Regional Cooperation. The SAF Governing Council resolution adopted in 2002 at Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France, provides that SAF shall not fund any project without at least a matching contribution in cash or kind against SAF's financial assistance. The scholarships to be awarded at the Pondicherry University under the SAF Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship Scheme conforms to the above two principles.
6. The University proposes to enroll twenty-five students for the course M A (South Asian Studies) every year out of which eight students will be offered scholarship under the SAF Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship Scheme, one each from the eight countries of South Asia as indicated above based on selection norms, criteria and procedures to be mutually agreed to between SAF and the University. The University shall endeavor to maintain gender equity in the matter of selecting the 8 students as far as possible.
7. As per the projections made by the University, each scholarship is valued at US$ 4500 (or its Indian Rupee equivalent) per student per year. Thus SAF’s contribution would be US$ 2250 (or its Indian Rupee equivalent) per student per year. For the two year course, SAF’s share would be US$ 4500. The Scheme is envisaged as a collaborative effort with both the parties sharing the expenditure involved on 50:50 basis. SAF contribution shall be in cash and University’s contribution shall be in the form of providing accommodation (boarding and lodging) and local transportation, tuition, library facility, conduct of examination, academic tours & field training, guest lectures, computer & internet facilities, health care & medical insurance, extra bridge courses, special tutorials, sports, free gymnasium & special visiting faculty. .
8. The scholarship would be limited to eight, or the actual number of students selected under the SAF-Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship Scheme, whichever is less.
9. The SAF, in addition, would meet annually the to and fro actual travel costs involved (economy, if traveled by air) for the international students by the shortest route.
10. The University shall submit a detailed report on the implementation of the Scholarship Scheme at the end of each financial year for placing before the SAF Governing Council and will also furnish the accounts of the expenses to the satisfaction of SAF auditors.
Duration of the Scholarship Scheme
11. The Scheme shall be in operation for a three year period beginning with the academic session/year 2008-09. Unless otherwise specified, the Scheme shall come to an end automatically at the end of the third year. However, the SAF’s commitment for the students enrolled in the academic session/year 2010-11 would continue for the next year when they proceed to second year of the MA course. The parties may continue the Scheme beyond the three year period if mutually agreed to.
12. The SAF may discontinue the scholarship scheme if Pondicherry University fails to comply with the terms laid down in this MoU.
Financial Contribution of SAF
13. It should be clearly understood by both parties that the contribution of SAF is not a donation to the University but a scholarship to each individual student selected under the Scheme. The scholarship amount, though paid to the University, is to be expended on individual selected students. The actual payment will be based on the number of scholars enrolled and will be paid after getting the intimation of the names of the finally selected candidates from the University along with the related documents.
14. The University shall identify a Coordinator who shall be responsible for all coordination of the Scholarship Scheme within the University and with the SAF. The Director of Operations at SAF shall be the nodal officer with whom the University could liaise and correspond.
15. Applying for scholarships shall be subject to SAF Membership, which is free of cost. Each member should sign a pledge stating that a dynamic South Asian culture of peace and democracy can emerge only through promotion of regional cooperation nourished with the energy and idealism of youth.
Operationalization of the MoU
16. This MoU shall become effective on the date upon which the parties append their signatures to it. It shall be the responsibility of the University that this MoU is subject to examination by the University and of the relevant laws of the land and its confirmation that it has obtained all the requisite approval necessary including the FCRA, if deemed necessary and or that it is exempt from any such approval.
Variation in the terms of MoU
17. The terms of the MoU may be modified if and when required by the consent of the parties.
Early Termination of the MoU
18. Either party shall be entitled to terminate this MoU by providing the other party with three calendar months advance notice. Such termination shall take effect at the end of the course in progress at that time. The termination of this MoU, for whatever reason, will not affect the rights of a party, which may have accrued as at the date of termination and will further not affect any rights, which specifically or by their nature survive the termination of this MoU.
In agreement of the above objectives and terms and conditions this Memorandum of Understanding is hereby signed by the below mentioned parties on this the 30th day of September 2008.
Shri Mani Shankar Aikar
Chairman, South Asia Foundation-India
Shri S. Logonathan
Registrar, Pondicherry University
Shri KJS Prasada Rao
CEO, South Asia Foundation-India
Shri S. Balakrishnan
Dean, SPCAS, Pondicherry University