Seated left to right: Uma Coomaraswamy, Vice-Chancellor, Open University of Sri Lanka; Salima Hashmi, Chairperson, SAF-Pakistan; Kamal Hossain, Chairperson, SAF-Bangladesh; Madanjeet Singh, SAF Founder; H.E. Bandaranaike Kumaratunga, President of Sri Lanka; Lakshman Kadirgamar, Chairperson, SAF-Sri Lanka; Jeet Singh, SAF Advisor; Lyonpo Sangay Ngedup, Chairperson SAF-Bhutan; I.H. Zaki, Chairperson, SAF-Maldives; Bhekh Bahadur Thapa, Chairperson SAF-Nepal.
Vice-chancellors (unless otherwise indicated) standing from left to right: Mohsen Tawfik (UNESCO Regional Director) New Delhi; Usha Singh, Nalanda Open University (Bihar); D. P. Singh, U.P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University (Allahabad); G.S. L Devra, Kota Open University (Rajasthan); Surabhi Banerjee, Netaji Subhas Open University (Kolkata); Altaf Hussain, Alama Iqbal Open University (Pakistan); Pema Kinley, Director General of Education of Bhutan; Jamilur Reza Choudhry, BRAC University (Bangladesh); Ershadul Bari, Bangladesh Open University; Suresh Garg (Pro-Vice-Chancellor) Indira Gandhi Open University (India); Hom Nath Bhatterai (Member Secretary) UGS, Kathmandu; V.S. Prasad, Dr B. R. Ambedkar Open University (Hyderabad); R.K. Singh, Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University (Bhopal); N. S. Ramegowda, Karnataka State Open University (Mysore); and B. P. Sabale, Y. Chavan Maharashtra Open University (Nashik).
Time-bound plan of action adopted by SAFLIs Academic Council and approved by SAF Chairpersons at the Second General Conference of South Asia Foundation.
1. The Vice-Chancellors/Rectors of Open Universities and Representatives of other Institutions in the SAARC countries assembled for the Second General Conference of South Asia Foundation in Colombo (18th-19th February 2003) do hereby resolve as follows:
8. In conformity with its Charter, the SAF will make a matching contribution of funds to SAFLI distance education courses delivered by the Open Universities/Institutions in order to foster a sense of responsibility and local ownership. However, in order to give the courses a good start, SAF will fully fund the first PGD-ESD modules.
10. SAFLI courses will bear the SAF logo together with the logo of the University/Institution delivering distance education. Each course will be headed by a brief description: South Asia Foundation (SAF) is a voluntary, secular, non-profit and non-political youth movement of regional cooperation through education and sustainable development among SAARC countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. SAF Learning Initiative (SAFLI) is designed to promote lifelong, secular learning that emphasises humanism and celebrates the rich heritage of South Asia's unity in diversity at all levels and sections of society.
12. The Vice-Chancellors/Rectors will be responsible for securing approval for SAFLI participation from their respective University Academic Councils and other educational bodies as may be required under their statutes and regulations.
13. The activities and progress of SAFLI will be continuously monitored jointly by SAF Chapters and the participating Open Universities/institutions.
(i) Ambassador Madanjeet Singh/ Mr. Jeet Singh and his nominee.
16. SAFLI will have an Academic Council comprising:
(i) Ambassador Madanjeet Singh/ Mr. Jeet Singh and his nominee
SAFLI Academic Council
Dr. Abdul Waheed Khan, Representative,UNESCO Director General, Paris.
Prof. Jamilur Reza Choudhry, VC, BRAC University, Bangladesh.
Prof. Ershadul Bari, VC, Bangladesh Open University, Dhaka.
Dr. lagar Dorji, Director, National Institute of Education, Bhutan.
Prof. H.P. Dikshit, VC, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi.
Prof. Suresh Garg, Pro-VC, Indira Gandhi Open University, New Delhi.
Dr. Hassan Hameed, Maldives Collage for Higher Education, Maldives.
Prof. Suresh Raj Sharma, Vice Chancellor, Kathmandu University, Nepal
Prof. Hom Nath Bhattarai, Member Secretary, U.G.S. Kathmandu.
Prof. Altaf Hussain, VC, Alama Iqbal Open University, Pakistan.
Prof. Khalid Aftab, VC, Government College University, Lahore, Pakistan.
Prof. Naveed Malik, Rector, Virtual University of Pakistan.
Prof. Uma Coomaraswamy, VC, Open University of Sri Lanka.
Prof. V.S. Prasad, VC, Dr. B R Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad.
Prof. K.D. Vasava, VC, Dr. B. Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad.
Prof. Surabhi Banerjee, VC, Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata.
Prof. G.S.L. Devra, VC, Kota Open University, Kota, Rajasthan.
Prof. R.K. Singh, VC, Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University, Bhopal.
Prof. (Ms.) Usha Singh, VC, Nalanda Open University, Bihar.
Prof. D.P. Singh, VC,U. P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad.
Prof. N.S. Ramegowda, VC, Karnataka State Open University, Mysore.
Prof. B.P. Sabale, VC, Y. Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik.