UNESCO Headquaters, Paris -
24th November 2020
Invitation to UNESCO’s Master Class for the
International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
“YOUTH AGAINST GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE”
Wednesday 25 November 2020
from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm (CET) on Zoom
Interpretation: English, French
This Master Class targets secondary education students (14-18 years old) and their teachers, but observers are welcome.
Objectives of the Master Class:
- To empower young people, including young men and boys alongside young women and girls, through this peer-learning forum by building their understanding and capacity to combat VAWG;
- To draw attention and visibility to, and understand how and why harmful gender norms and VAWG are being spread in all their forms online and offline, in the media, in public space and all spheres of life;
- To engage youth to become proactive agents of change and trainers within their own schools, families and communities for a sustainable impact;
- To inspire policymakers, at the global, national and local levels, and community leaders and teachers to pursue collective efforts in the fight against VAWG.
- Introduction of the Master Class by Ms Gabriela Ramos – UNESCO Assistant Director- General for Social and Human Sciences
- Keynote speech by Ms Dubravka Šimonovic – United Nations Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Presentations and interactive discussions with students:
- Dr Tim Shand – Co-founder and Director, ShandClarke Consulting Ltd, Expert in women’s empowerment, sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender-based violence prevention, education and men and masculinities
- Mr Hassan Sekajoolo – Board member of MenEngage Global Alliance representing Africa
- Ms Seyi Akiwowo – Founder and Executive Director
of Glitch, a not-for-profit organisation determined to end online abuse
- Mr Ashwin Chandrasekhar – Host of “The New Manifesto” Podcast
- Moderator: Mr Juan-Pablo Ramirez-Miranda – Programme specialist, UNESCO New Delhi
- Dialogue session to create commitments to be implemented in schools and communities
- Closing remarks
- Musical interludes
Click here to register and join the Master Class against gender-based violence.
To register, kindly contact email@example.com and indicate which school or institution you are affiliated with.
More Information on this International Day
More Informationon UNESCO's Master Classes
n UNESCO’s Master Classes