UMSAILS, Dhaka, Bangladesh -
28th June 2022
UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS)
Department of Law and Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific
UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS) aims to be a regional centre of excellence through undertaking research works and offering post‐graduate education in South Asian law and human rights. Its mission is to further the potential of South Asia in legal education, research and scholarship and to impart knowledge and the skills that are necessary to confront the new challenges of this era. It is sponsored by the South Asia Foundation (SAF), which is founded by UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador Madanjeet Singh. SAF has been recognized as an Apex Body of South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation (SAARC). SAF Bangladesh Chapter is headed by Eminent Jurist Dr. Kamal Hossain. The UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS) at South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (SAILS), Dhaka, Bangladesh is pleased to announce the Madanjeet Singh scholarship for one year Master of Laws (LLM) program to be undertaken at Department of Law and Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific (UAP) in Dhaka, Bangladesh from January 2023 to December 2023. The citizens of all SAARC countries are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- To become a centre of excellence for education and research in South Asian Law and Human Rights for promoting interconnection and understanding through exchange and collaboration.
- To impart legal education with a view to sensitizing on crucial societal issues.
- To offer post‐graduate degrees and diplomas on emerging issues of the South Asian region like Development Studies, Climate Change, Energy Regulation, etc.
- To undertake and support research and advocacy activities on emerging issues in the region.
- To organize international and regional conferences, seminars, workshops, training programs and symposiums on contemporary issues of importance.
- To publish books, journals, newsletters, and monographs.
- To work as a platform for academics, researchers, practitioners and activists of related field.
About the University
University of Asia Pacific (UAP) was established in 1996 with a vision to enhance the opportunity for higher education in Bangladesh. The University, under the Private University Act 1992, started its operation in 1996 by offering four-year Bachelor Degree Program in Computer Science & Technology and Business Administration only. Now the UAP offers undergraduate programs in eight disciplines. Its curricula have been approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the Government of People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
The duration of the LLM program is one‐year and students are required to complete 33 credits in order to finish the program. There will be opportunities for national and international students to get admission in the program. In the initial batches, UMSAILS plans to offer 8 (1 nationals and 7 international) full scholarships to students (one for each SAARC member countries). Those who do not get scholarship can also be admitted. Applicants must fulfill the following criteria for the Master of Laws (LLM) program:
- Have completed a graduation in Law (with a minimum CGPA of 3 out of 4 or equivalent).
- Be fluent in English (both in written and speaking).
- English Language Proficiency Certificate from recognized/competent institutions should be produced.
The scholarship will cover:
SAARC member Countries
- Admission and Tuition fees;
- Economy air travel from the native country to Bangladesh and back;
- Monthly stipend;
- Normal book allowance and printing allowances;
- Monthly accommodation allowance for international students;
- Monthly dining allowance for international students;
- Research grant for dissertation write-up
- South Asia Foundation (SAF) office in the respective SAARC countries shall select one candidates each based on the eligibility criteria mentioned herein and the names of the selected candidates from each SAARC countries should reach the office of the Program Coordinator, UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS) latest by 30 September 2022 through SAF offices in the respective countries. The documents should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com.
- The final assessment of the selected candidates shall be done jointly by the Department of Law and Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific and UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS). There will be skype interview with the candidates for the final selection, if required.
- Based on the final assessment, candidates may or may not be accepted into the program if the respective SAF office fails to follow the set eligibility criteria.
- The right of acceptance or rejection of candidates nominated by SAARC countries into the LLM program reserves with the UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS) and the Department of Law and Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific.
- The letter of acceptance or rejection into the scholarship program will be sent to respective SAF offices and to the candidates for further conveyance to the individual candidates latest by 20 October 2022 via e-mail or telephone calls.
- All travel documents of the selected candidates should reach the UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS) office no later than 10 November 2022 to process for travel and other necessary arrangements. If the candidates fail to submit the documents within the given time frame, it will result in the cancellation of the scholarship.
Documents to submit
The candidates applying for UMSAILS scholarship program should submit the following documents to the respective SAF offices:
- Curriculum Vitae
- All transcripts and certificates
- English Language Proficiency Certificate
- A copy of Citizenship ID card and valid passport
- Contact: e-mail address, Skype ID and mobile phone number of the candidate
A copy of documents for the selected candidates should be sent to the office of SAF Bangladesh for final assessment and acceptance into the program. All the accepted candidates should produce original documents at the time of admission at Department of Law and Human Rights of University of Asia Pacific, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
SAF Bangladesh Chapter: www.southasiafoundation.org
30 September 2022: All the required documents of the selected candidate should reach the office of Program Coordinator, UNESCO Madanjeet Singh South Asian Institute of Advanced Legal and Human Rights Studies (UMSAILS), Dhaka, Bangladesh. The document should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 October 2022: Selected candidates will give interview via skype.
20 October 2022: Candidate shall be informed on the selection results via e-mail or phone calls. Accepted students shall be informed on legal and travel documents required.
10 November 2022: Last date for selected scholarship student to send copy of Passport and other required documents.
24 December 2022: Student should arrive in Bangladesh to process all immigration formalities.
25 December 2022: Reporting and enrolment to the Department of Law and Human Rights, University of Asia Pacific.
07 January 2023: Orientation program.
08 January 2023: Class starts.